I started this blog (or actually repurposed it from its A Social Tech Diva predecessor) as a nod to my newfound passion for fitness and health. But the part I don’t talk about as much as the “Tech” part. I’m a tech geek, working in the field of information technology for 16 years. So as I got into fitness I also really wanted to understand more about how I could combine it with my love for tech. But I have to admit that I don’t use a ton of technology to stay fit. I keep things pretty simple with items that work well for me daily. Here are 5 must-have-access-to items I use almost daily that help me maintain a fit n healthy lifestyle.
- Wearable Fitness Tracker: A wearable fitness tracker is a must-have for me and the Fitbit is definitely one of the most reliable brands of such technology on the market today. I started out with a Fitbit Flex but moved on to the Charge 2 because of more features such as the ability to track my workout directly on the tracker (tracking BPM and calorie burn for example) in addition to tracking steps throughout the day. This information helps keep me motivated to keep pushing and improving. A wearable fitness tracker is a must for me.
- Air Fryer: The new craze for a good reason..I love mine and use it daily! The air fryer is a kitchen appliance that is a healthier alternative to traditional frying. It cooks the food by circulating hot air around it via a high speed fan that helps to also produce a crispy outer layer. It allows you to cook healthier versions of foods such as “fried” chicken and fries without all the fatty grease. It’s also portable…I’ve used it in hotels before, which saved money by keeping us from having to eat out daily. It really is a great investment and nice add to your kitchen appliances.
- Nutribullet: Just like the air fryer, the Nutribullet is another must-have in my kitchen. I use this high-speed blender not only for my tasty, nutritious smoothies but also to make foods such as protein muffin mix, guacamole, salsa, and even veggie burger mix. It’s also great for crushing nuts and seeds. Extracting essential nutrients from the fruits and vegetables it blends, I always know I’m getting what I need from anything I prep using my Nutribullet.
- YouTube: I have a membership but sometimes I wonder why because I don’t go to the gym often (I’m trying to do better in 2018). So how do I stay fit you ask? I work out at home….mainly to YouTube videos. There are TONS of workout videos on YouTube for ANY type of workout you’re looking for. I keep a set of weights, a resistance band, jump rope, and yoga mat at home just for my home workouts. So for those days when I just don’t feel like dealing with the hustle and bustle at the gym or just simply don’t feel like getting up and going, I just walk a few steps instead to my TV and get it in…no excuses!
- Social Media: Last but not least is the wonderful world of social media. I not only use it to promote fitness and health but I also use it to check out what others are doing to get new ideas for myself. I enjoy looking at pictures of the fit chics (many of them who are “body goals” for me) and healthy foodie ideas that I may want to try out. It’s also nice to connect with others who share the same passion for fitness and health as I do…they help keep me motivated just as I hope to motivate others.
What are some of your must-haves for maintaining fitness and health that have been made possible by technology?