The weather is getting warmer and spring has officially arrived. So what does that mean? Summer also known as “swimsuit” and “sun dress” and “cute shorts and skirts” and…OK so you get the picture. Time to shed some of those pounds you gained during the cold, winter months! But don’t just aim to shed them and keep them off through the summer but instead make it a goal to keep them off for life! It is not about temporary dieting but rather changing your mindset so that you can adopt new eating habits that are realistic for you and that you can stick with for life. Now I’m not a health or fitness expert and I certainly have my own challenges in this area where I’m constantly trying new foods, exercises, and healthy habits that will help me to lose the weight I want and maintain that weight loss. So I’d like to share some of what has worked for me.
Here is a 5-day plan of healthy meals, snacks, and workouts that you can try. I did not include drinks but I would recommend refraining from those that are sugary and filled with empty calories such as kool-aid, sodas, and energy drinks. “Adult beverages” also known as alcohol also aren’t recommended, either. But if you just have an irresistible craving for a chilled glass of wine or a nice, cold beer then just be sure to follow some recommended guidelines. This article provides some helpful guidelines for drinking in moderation and considering sugar and calorie intake for alcoholic beverages.
Being in good shape is a great feeling. So why not make it a lifetime choice? But until then, try different things to see what works for you. I hope that you find my 5-day plan helpful. Feel free to mix it up, too. This is just something that will hopefully help you get started on the path to getting in better shape. Good luck!
– blended juice (1/2 cup frozen mixed berries, 1/4 cup chopped or shredded carrots, 1/2 cup chopped kale, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. honey)
– 2-3 chocolate peanut butter balls (recipe athttp://www.asocialtechdiva.com/?p=89#more-89)
– Potato salad with a Twist (recipe athttp://www.asocialtechdiva.com/?p=94#more-94)
– 1 cup of frozen grapes
– baked crusted tilapia topped with chopped sauteed tomatoes and onions (recipe atÂ http://www.asocialtechdiva.com/?p=242)
– 1-2 cups of “cooked southern style” kale greens (recipe athttp://www.asoulfultwist.com/southern-style-kale/)
– A blended drink for breakfast allows you to get some of your recommended daily servings of fruites and vegetables. The peanut butter balls are a healthy, easy to-go snack. The potato salad is a great lower fat, lower calorie alternative to traditional potato salads that also provides some servings of vegetables. Frozen grapes are great for snacking and known to be lower in calories. The baked crusted tilapia fillet is a great alternative to fried fish and also a good source of protein and is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Kale is low in calories but high in antioxident vitamins A, C, and K and is also a good source of fiber.
Workout of the day: 20-25 minutes of running/walking intervals
Workout app of the day: Ease into 5K
– blended juice (1/4 cup frozen mixed berries, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup chopped kale, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. honey)
– cup of broccoli with light ranch dressing or veggie dip for dipping
– Bowl of spinach salad with chopped tomatoes, 1 tblsp shredded low fat cheddar cheese, 1 tblsp of chopped walnuts or pecans, 1 tblsp craisins, 2 tblsp light italian or balsamic vinegarette dressing. Optional: If you must have meat add 1/8 cup of chopped turkey or chicken.
– Whole wheat tortilla chips with fruit salsa (check my site soon,www.asocialtechdiva.com, for the recipe)
– Red beans and brown rice (check my site soon,www.asocialtechdiva.com, for the recipe)
Optional: low carb skillet cornbread (recipe athttp://www.foodiefiasco.com/low-carb-skillet-cornbread/)
A blended drink for breakfast allows you to get some of your recommended daily servings of fruites and vegetables. Broccoli for a snack provides essential nutrients and benefits such as helping to reduce cancer risks and diabetes. It is best eaten raw or steamed to reap the most benefits out of eating it. The spinach salad “packs power” with ingredients that provide a range of health benefits while remaining low in bad fats and calories. The whole wheat tortilla chips with fruit salsa provide a small serving of fiber in the chips and fruit serving with additional nutrients. Red beans and rice for dinner provide more fiber in the beans and essential benefits from the brown rice, which is healthier than white rice. Brown rice is rich in protein, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and thiamine.
Workout of the day: 30 minutes of cardio
Workout app: Digifit iCardio (iCardio on Android)
– blended juice (1 chopped apple, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup chopped spinach, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. honey)
– 6 slices of parmesan crusted zucchini w/light ranch dressing or veggie dip (check my site soon,Â www.asocialtechdiva.com, for the recipe)
– Bowl of kale salad with chopped tomatoes, 1 tblsp shredded low fat cheddar cheese, 1 tblsp of chopped walnuts or pecans, 1 tblsp craisins, 2 tblsp apple vinegar dressing (check my site soon,www.asocialtechdiva.com, for the recipe) Optional: If you must have meat add 1/8 cup of chopped turkey or chicken.
Fruit (apple, orange, 1 cup frozen grapes, etc.)
Whole wheat flatbread veggie pizza topped with hummus or tomato sauce as the spread, sliced tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheese with basil seasoning Optional: Small bowl of kale or spinach salad
A blended drink for breakfast allows you to get some of your recommended daily servings of fruites and vegetables. Parmesan crusted zucchini for a snack is low in calories and contains potassium, vitamin A, and folate. The kale salad provides the wide range of nutrition from the kale, vegetables, and nuts it includes while remaining low in bad fats and calories. Fruit for a snack provides a serving of the daily recommended intake for fruits. Whole wheat flatbread veggie pizza for dinner is lower in fat and sugar than regular pizza dough and is also a good source of fiber in addition to essential vitamins and minerals.
Workout of the day: 30 minutes of walking/running intervals
Workout app: Endomondo Sports Tracker Pro
Breakfast: grapefruit smoothie (recipe coming soon towww.asocialtechdiva.com)
Snack: 1/2 cup trail mix w/ pecans, dark chocolate (72% or more), raisins
Lunch: power salad w/ spinach, tomatoes, black beans, walnuts or pecans, 1 tblsp low fat cheddar cheese, craisins, light italian or balsamic vinegarette dressing
Snack: sliced apple w/ 2 tblsp peanut butter
Dinner: bowl of vegan stir-fry w/ brown rice
Optional: kale salad
Benefits includes several servings of fruits and vegetables packed with essential nutrients and vitamins. And if you have a chocolate craving, the dark chocolate (in small portions) is good for the heart, brain, for controlling blood sugar, & is full of antioxidants among other benefits.
Workout of the day: 30 minutes of cardio…get it in!
Cool workout app: Runtastic Pedometer
Breakfast: grapefruit chunks sprinkled with Splenda
Snack: baby carrots w/ light ranch dressing for dipping
Lunch: kale salad with small pieces of chicken breast chunks
Snack: fruit salad
Dinner: baked tilapia w/ steamed brocolli sprinkled with 2 tblsp low-fat shredded cheese
Benefits: Grapefruit is known for having benefits such as helping to lose weight faster, reducing chances of getting arthritis and cancer, and lowering cholesterol. Benefits for other foods can be found from other days this week that they were included in the plan.
Workout of the day: Abs
Workout app: 8 Min Abs (it’s Fri so treat yourself & make it a quick workout!)
Congrats…you made it! Now try to adopt better eating habits for a lifetime. Your body will thank you for it.